"Mesh" Dreams = OLSR

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Aug 24 12:08:54 EDT 2010

On 08/24/2010 11:44 AM, Reuben K. Caron wrote:

>  From what I understand, OLSR has a better mechanism for maintaining the
> "mesh information." If you recall any change in mesh was previously
> broadcasted to all listeners. OLSR is configurable. For instance,
> information would only be broadcasted to two levels of one devices
> immediate neighbor not the whole mesh cloud. Another issue we had was
> maintaining mesh information in a limited memory space on the WLAN
> module; OLSR would now process that information.

I'm not talking about comparison to our previous mesh.  I'm talking
about comparison to an AP.  Overall we currently don't have much need
for "mesh" as most of our scenarios are a dense cloud of children in the
same space trying to network with each other.

The network-without-infra feature of "mesh" is certainly useful in
scenarios were you want to provide access over a wider area.  Its a very
important feature of mesh but its just not the feature we need on the
ground ATM. However, if the same mesh smartness also gets density
without using AP's then that's a big win.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child