SD/MMC cards, a year later

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Thu Aug 19 16:21:31 EDT 2010

On Aug 19, 2010, at 1:59 PM, Tiago Marques wrote:

> Thanks for the update. Can you disclose the brands of the mentioned SD cards?
> It's always useful to know what not to buy.

I probably could, but variations between models from one manufacturer
may be greater than variations between manufacturer.   I suggest that
anyone thinking of purchasing a number of SD cards test the ones they
are considering buying, instead of relying on outdated test data.

> I'm assuming none of these cards don't have static wear levelling. Did any manufacturer provide you details on that or are they only using spare blocks for "repairability"?

They all have dynamic wear levelling, where blocks are actively moved
in order to balance the wear across all block in the device.

> Any plans for the use of NILFS? It seems to help with wear levelling, although
> it is not a completely circular log FS.

We are starting to look at it.
Does anybody have experience shipping it ?
even using it ?

Cheers,
wad