olpc-update and 10.1.2

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 05:59:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:04 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> [[`olpc-update --usb`]] Fixed for os851.

Excellent, and I can confirm it works for an upgrade from 8.2.1 (build 802).

>> It sounds like olpc-update will take a lot of flash space.  Maybe the
>> 10.1.2 notes should say how much you'll need.  Will the program tell
>> me there's not enough room?
>
> Takes about 350Mb, but it is not practical to explain exactly how much
> space is required, since it depends on too many factors (other previous
> olpc-updates in particular).

Understood.  I had 358MB free on my xo-1 and that wasn't enough.  My
first `sudo olpc-update --usb` failed with a string of errors, after
it exited I had only 16MB free.  BTW, "Mb" means Megabits, you mean
"MB".

>  Yes, if there's not enough room it stops,
> and after clearing some room
I removed the WikiBrowse activity and some large collections (maybe
the release notes should have pointers for how to do this) to free up
about 110 MB.

> it can be asked to continue from where it
> left off.
I'm not sure what you mean, but I simply repeated the command and
despite all its temp files and symlinks in /versions, it completed.
Now that's good softwarin' !

The next problem is Software update wanted to install 218.8 MB of
stuff and I had only 77MB free.  I unchecked Wikipedia and WikipediaEN
(WikiBrowse Spanish and WikiBrowse English) to save space and updated.

So I think the Release notes should say "[upgrade] requires roughly
*450MB* of free space".  And change the second part to be "and if you
install all the latest activities, Software update downloads about
350MB of material" if that's what you are referring to.

I found a few minor glitches which I'll e-mail or file Trac tickets,
but the big problem I have is after Software update none of the new
activities showed up in the Home screen in the Favorites ring or List
view, and the List view shows the old versions for activities, e.g.
Browse 102 not 110.  Is this a known issue?  All the new versions are
sitting in ~/Activities, so I'm not sure why the Home screen has stale
info.

Cheers,
--
=S Page