[Sugar-devel] Making OLPC / Sugar Labs more approachable

Neil Graham Lerc at screamingduck.com
Mon Aug 9 00:46:59 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 19:55 -0400, John Watlington wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2010, at 7:15 PM, Neil Graham wrote:
>
> > There is a small open handheld console. http://www.openpandora.org/
> > http://pandorapress.net/  The openness and friendliness of the community
> > environment is a model for how things can work.
>
> The support page on that wiki points you to enter the bug in their bug tracker.
> What part of Pandora were you holding up as an example of better practices ?
>
> wad
Goodness I didn't realise the difference was that profound.  Community
involvement is not a link on a webpage.  If that is the level of
interaction that you have been looking at then you haven't even been in
the right book let alone on the right page.

I doubt I ever clicked on that link, yet I know how many Pandora's are
out there, where the various components of the as yet unassembled
Pandora's are,  what has been the most recent problem in getting them
going.

I don't actually have a Pandora but I know that the first few units had
sticky shoulder buttons, I also know that was due to the paint, and what
they did to solve the problem.

There is a huge amount of transparency that just isn't there with
OLPC.

Perhaps that was out of necessity,  most Pandora purchasers paid one or
two years ago.  You can't ask people for a million dollars then not
produce anything for a year without letting them know something is
happening.  Nevertheless it has much better results.  There isn't the
them and us feel.

The Pandora has been out maybe a month now.  About a thousand units
shipped.  It has FireFox Chromium FBReader, Fennic, Pingus, Dink
Smallwood, Pandora Panic, Lmarbles, Ur-Quan Masters, Quake 3, emulators
for Linx,Amiga, MSX, psx, Oric, Amstrad CPC, PDP-11, Vice, DosBox

little fairies didn't bring me that information, and neither did they
port all that software.

Perhaps what is needed is a KDE to olpc's gnome in order to lift the
game of both.

But really,  I'm about done.  I might just go and do other things.