MicroSD Card performance variance on XO-1.5

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Aug 7 12:11:30 EDT 2010

[cc += sugar-devel, tch]

El Sat, 07-08-2010 a las 11:27 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso escribió:

> Btw, have read that some notifications about available memory have
> landed in cgroups in recent kernels. The Sugar shell could listen to
> those and give a chance to background activities to save their state
> before killing them, thus avoiding OOM in some (most?) cases.

We could do this even without an advanced reporting mechanism. The
monitoring code in the CPU & Memory meter could detect memory shortage
and automatically quit  the least recently used activity.

Or, maybe, we could make this a manual process: pop up a notification
when memory is short and ask which activity should be closed.

A while ago, Tincho has been working on implementing the Freedesktop
notification protocol in Sugar. This feature didn't make it for
Dextrose, but perhaps it could be completed in time to be merged into
0.90.