olpc-update and 10.1.2

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 17:02:17 EDT 2010

A synchronized release for both models; who would've believed it
possible a year ago.  Congratulations!

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.2
>
> http://build.laptop.org/10.1.2/xo-1.5/os850
> http://build.laptop.org/10.1.2/xo-1/os850
>
> Compressed image size: 704.70mb (+14.05mb since build 304)

I haven't tried it yet, but in learning about it :)

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update#USB_update says how to update
from local files using `olpc-update -usb` , but the needed file
os850.usb is not in the build directory.  Do you have any plans to
produce it?

I thought olpc-update has to be performed as root, but release notes
don't say `sudo olpc-update...`

Someone inserted a /* Warning */ at the top of the Olpc-update page
about activities that conflicts with what
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.2#Upgrade says.

It sounds like olpc-update will take a lot of flash space.  Maybe the
10.1.2 notes should say how much you'll need.  Will the program tell
me there's not enough room?

If a USB olpc-update isn't possible, I'll have to flash my XO-1 and
lose my work.  Release notes say only, "Make a copy of any data you
wish to keep"... how?  The only instructions on backing up the
contents of an XO I could find are
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_backup_your_XO , but that just lets
me restore a previous image.  Is there a guide to backing up files in
such a way they're accessible in the new release?  In the past I've
run `rsync -av ~` to a USB drive and dragged some Journal files to
USB.