[IAEP] Recommend build for XO-1.0 deployment

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Aug 3 04:09:07 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 07:45:59AM +0000, Tabitha Roder wrote:
> On 02/08/2010, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Tabitha, check to see if the deployment can use unlocked laptops;
> > and if the policy is acceptable, we can assist with use of
> > Collection stick and unlocking.
>
> We have already collected the spares at the ministry with a collection
> stick. Getting the details of all the laptops back to olpc will be a
> little challenging -- limited internet access on the island where the
> schools are. We will know more about access on Wed.

Understood.

> > (The laptops can be unlocked by the user within 24 hours by
> > following the processes that OLPC made available ...
>
> Can we confirm that it really will take 24 hours. There is the
> potential for a 4 hour round trip to deliver the collection stick data
> and again to check for the result. The wiki said it could take a
> couple of days.

No, we can't confirm that without knowing either the serial numbers or
the method by which the batch was ordered.  We talked about it in
engineering team earlier today, and there are some deployments who
requested more than the 24-hours delay when they made their order.  I
don't have (nor do I need) access to the ordering systems, but I do talk
with the people at OLPC who know how to handle the developer key
process.  ;-}

Once you have the laptops.dat file from the collection stick process,
follow the usual next step of e-mail to help at laptop.org indicating
you want developer keys.

--
James Cameron