[IAEP] Recommend build for XO-1.0 deployment

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Aug 2 19:37:39 EDT 2010

Tabitha, check to see if the deployment can use unlocked laptops; and if
the policy is acceptable, we can assist with use of Collection stick and
unlocking.

(The laptops can be unlocked by the user within 24 hours by following
the processes that OLPC made available ... so the only way the locking
mechanism could be used to exert control by the school is if the users
weren't allowed to use them without supervision ... and use without
supervision is one of the whole points of One Laptop per Child.  And
given that the locking mechanism is so weak, and the benefits of
unlocking are so strong, I presume that the reason they remain locked is
through ignorance of the processes.  Basing a control on ignorance is
unsustainable.)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/