New keyboard layouts

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at
Wed Apr 28 03:48:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:40 AM, John Watlington <wad at> wrote:

> We are in the midst of changing the bottom half of the XO-1/XO-1.5
> laptop to greatly improve the repairability of the keyboard.   The new
> keyboards will be removable after first unscrewing a screw underneath
> each battery latch.   At the same time, a non-membrane keyboard
> will be available for use with the laptop.
> The following are the keyboard layouts and legends for these
> new keyboards.   Much thanks to Walter Bender for developing
> these given a bad set of constraints.

does that mean that XO-1s are still being produced and the production lines
will be updated to include the new bottom half? Or is only going to produce
new XO-1 bottom halfs as spare / replacement parts for deployments?

Any ideas whether the non-membrane keyboard will be available in single
quantities (via ilovemyxo for example) so people who aren't too confident
about their Dremel skills can also upgrade their XO-1 / XO-1.5s (I'm mainly
thinking abotu G1G1 donors here).

Christoph Derndorfer
co-editor, olpcnews
e-mail: christoph at