[Sugar-devel] stopwatch activity

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 27 23:00:15 EDT 2010

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Sameer Verma wrote:

> I noticed something interesting with he stopwatch activity on the XO
> 1.5 C2 with build 120. When the XO goes into suspend, the clock stops
> display, but upon resume, will show actual time elapsed (clock keep
> counting).  "Mark" also works correctly, displaying the time when the
> "Mark" button is clicked, irrespective of the display.  I'm not sure
> what the behavior should be, though.

I think that's fine behavior.  Most stopwatches don't stop running by
themselves, so I don't see why ours should.

> Should the activity prevent suspend?

My philosophy is that suspend should be _absolutely transparent_ to
the user; i.e. its effects should not be detectable, in the same way
that processor voltage scaling is undetectable.

This suggests that Stopwatch should inhibit suspend while it is
visible onscreen.  I'm reluctant to do this, though, because it feels
like an ugly hack.  The right solution would be for the suspend system
to recognize that Stopwatch has a timer set to expire in 100 ms, and
postpone suspend.

--Ben