Pyrex experts? Looking to expose settimeofday() and RTC_SET_TIME ioctl()

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 19:21:23 EDT 2010

I am porting some awkward patches I have against the old olpc
initramfs to the new dracut-based, all bling initramfs.

The python part is mostly done, but the fun part is that we're trying
to set the clock (both system clock and rtc) based on network
messages.

The general approach in our initramfs when we need some specific calls
to potent magic hidden (as we often do in our voodoo initramfsen) is
to unleash The Power of Pyrex. So that's what I plan to do.

Does anyone really know Pyrex, and is eager to help? My C is rickety
and my Python is Perlish. Save the world from my implementation...
help me with a sane version ;-)

  http://linux.die.net/man/2/settimeofday
  http://linux.die.net/man/4/rtc

[ Yes, there are alternatives... including in hwclock (with some bulky
libraries) or busybox (which is bulky when brought in just for this).
We could rebuild a minimalistic hwclock from busybox but that is too
much goo for the build -- I did it for the old initramfs and it was
definitely not pretty nor maintainable. Smallest, most maintainable,
most effective, following the current style and approach: Pyrex. ]

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions