Sugar Labs logo in bottom-left corner of olpc-bootanim

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 10:59:39 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Ed McNierney <ed at laptop.org> wrote:

> Folks -
>
> It's my impression that the boot animation in grayscale is an equally
> important part of the XO design.  IIRC, we went to some effort to use a
> non-standard Fedora badge in order to retain the grayscale color scheme.  So
> if we're going to add a Sugar Labs graphic we should keep to the same
> scheme.
>
>        - Ed
>

> On Apr 21, 2010, at 7:12 AM, Sean DALY wrote:
>
> > Colors (and different ones every time ;-) are an integral part of the
> > Sugar Labs branding.
> >
> > And, we specifically chose to link boot logo colors to releases for
> > SoaS precisely to aid everyone in identifying the versions :-)
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Sean
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Bernie Innocenti < bernie at codewiz.org>
> wrote:

> >> Since everything else, including Fedora Remix logo, is rendered in a
> >> subtle grey scale, I thought that something colorful in the corner would
> >> have been a little too showy.
> >>
> >> If nobody is opposed, I'd also like a colorful logo to break the
> >> monotony of the boot sequence: the color pair would change on every
> >> release, helping users identify the version of Sugar running on their
> >> computer.
> >>
> >> --
> >>   // Bernie Innocenti - http://codewiz.org/
> >>  \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://sugarlabs.org/

The OLPC/Sugar color design is described here,
wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Sugar_Interface/Colors.

Generally, gray-scale is used for non-personal elements, color for personal
products such as Journal Activity instances.

Extending this a bit, one might enliven the sugarlabs logo at the final
frame, just before the Learner's Home view appears, connecting it more
closely to the Sugar Learner environment than the earlier boot, which is
more the responsibility of GNU/Linux and the distribution packaging.

      --Fred