Record activity for XO-1.5

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Tue Apr 20 18:07:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 06:06:33PM -0300, Daniel Drake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a version of the Record activity which works on XO-1.5:
> git://dev.laptop.org/users/dsd/record
>
> It's basically Record v60 plus a few tweaks.
> Unfortunately it seems like Record v61 included a rewrite, cutting out
> most of the hard work I did on this activity in summer 2008 :(

In fact original idea was to do something similar what camerabin does -
smooth switching between Record modes, w/o any delays. But it was pretty
undoable due to python binding restrictions and lack of gst knowledge.

In my mind, switch to camerabin would be the best way to go. Unfortunately
camerabin cant work as is on XO-1, it should be patched to let Record
use two phases encoding and it looks like pretty special in case of
upstream. But new Record could work on XO-1.5.

> and that version and the ones that followed are not working well on
> XO-1.5 (and presumably XO-1 neither).
>
> Rolling back this 1 year of the history gets us back to a working
> activity, with several added benefits - the whole thing is more
> responsive, taking photos is a lot faster, the microphone is only
> powered up when we're actually recording audio, etc.
>
> It's known to require Fedora 10 (or equivalent gstreamer version) or
> newer -- presumably the reason for the v61 rewrite was that v60
> (intentionally) doesn't work on older gstreamer versions.
>
> Where do we go from here?
>
> Daniel

Aleksey