[IAEP] Long-term development strategy (Was: New XO-1.5 10.2.0 build 119)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Apr 16 17:21:23 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 14:00 -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> But at least you have 2 years. With F11 you have 0.

I agree. Today we should be releasing a system based on F13, which would
come with 12 months of "official" support and maybe 8-10 months of
*real* attention of the upstream developers of the OS components we rely
upon.

> Is there any reason on whu you think that rebasing every
> 12-18months will actually be less of a problem/cost?

Because rebasing on a new OS is not as expensive as fixing all bugs on
your own. Moreover, soon or later you'd have to rebase anyway. The more
you wait, the harder it gets.