tap-to-click feedback

Tuukka Hastrup Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
Thu Apr 15 13:24:33 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

Ed McNierney escribió:
 > No, you're quite right - it's hard.  And it's hard to tell whether most
 > users are silent because they're happy with it, or they're silent
 > because they don't even realize that they have a choice.

It's very easy to tell: the OLPC project is not in close contact with
the field. In this thread, we can observe the illusion that the hundreds
of thousands of children would report to you if there was something
suboptimal with their laptops. And there have been multiple reports, and
yet "there is no consensus".

0. Of course the kids don't realise that they have a choice.
1. They can't write (a letter).
1. They don't have Internet.
2. They don't speak English and the web sites are in English.
3. Even western kids don't know their feedback counts or how to send it.
4. Same applies to teachers and most other people on the field.

We'd really like to see a *memo* about the *decision* that was made to
change the default functioning of the touchpad to tap-to-click! Someone
recognized the change in time, someone didn't assign enough importance
to it to fix it in time. Others haven't documented this problem so that
it could be evaluated, reassessed, and fixed at some point. Now, "there
is no consensus" even, although the issue is obvious.

We didn't know about this before we assisted in a training week for the
teachers in Satipo, where we saw that some machines had the new-style
touchpads and the teachers were having problems with those. Despite all
our explanations, many weren't able to learn to avoid the unintended
clicks during the 40 hours of training. This means a lot of the only
training they got was wasted.

To us it seems obvious that tap-to-click is a bad idea on the XO: It's a
complication. It's not very useful to anyone (as you can always click
the button instead...). It's very harmful to some (as it makes the
functioning of the mouse unpredictable). Did you first make sure that
all mouse clicks in all software and all web sites are well-visualised
and undo-able ?-) In these third-world conditions, reliability is far
more important than small performance tweaks.

We all know there's big problems with the old-style touchpads as well,
but they are *less* important on the field. Why? Because the child with
sweaty hands (try to avoid that here in the tropics!) can keep trying to
point the mouse at the correct location until successful, *then* click
the *button* and be done. With tap-to-click they aren't able to do this,
  and there's no solution for them, is there? Without an Internet
connection and the knowledge on how and whom to contact, there's no-one
listening to them.

Greetings from Pucallpa,
Tuukka and Kaisa