tap-to-click feedback

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Thu Apr 15 11:42:56 EDT 2010

Hi Ed,
Our friends and volunteers Tuukka and Kaisa are currently in Pucallpa
working
with the teachers and kids. They probably havent seen this thread but this
issue
has popped up often here too and I wonder what you might think constitutes
"consensus from deployments".

Also, the larger issue of how to get the "silent majority" to speak up is
something
we are constantly working hard from the field to improve. Its hard, any
suggestions
on where exactly to aggregate info from the field, in a way that is not
merely
anecdotal, is welcome.

Sebastian

2010/4/15 Ed McNierney <ed at laptop.org>

> Paul -
>
> This issue has bubbled up from time to time over the last 18 months or so
> (judging from my email archives).  It is not at all clear to me that there
> is indeed a "consensus from deployments"; some like it, some don't.  We tend
> to (unsurprisingly) hear little or nothing from the people who think it's
> working just fine, and it is very easy for a local group in which a few
> folks think the behavior is wrong to quickly collectively conclude that it's
> wrong.  We've deployed hundreds of thousands of machines since this change,
> and I don't think we've seen hundreds of thousands of complaints.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion and I don't know the answer, but we should be
> very careful about ignoring the silent majority, if there is one.
>
>        - Ed
>

> On Apr 15, 2010, at 11:18 AM, Paul Fox wrote:
>
> > daniel wrote:

> >> (speaking only for XO) No. We would have to change mouse driver which
> >> introduces a handful of regressions, will need some real effort to
> >> resolve. See the discussions earlier in the thread.
> >>
> >> The most realistic quick-fix option I can think of is adding a small
> >> hack into the psmouse driver in the OLPC kernel, which sends the
> >> single command needed to disable tap-to-click. Last time I looked at
> >> this code I remember thinking that this would be quite easy, since the
> >> more-powerful synaptics driver doesn't actually change the mode of the
> >> mouse, it just takes advantage of a whole load of non-standard
> >> commands.
> >
> > that's a good idea.
> >
> > if such a thing were to be introduced, and if it could be made
> > run-time or boot-time controllable, i take it the consensus from
> > deployments is that tap-to-click is more confusing than helpful,
> > and it should be disabled by default.  correct?
> >
> > (i know that i myself find it annoying.  the XO is annoying
> > enough to type on, without having my windows flip out from under
> > me because i have careless thumbs.)
> >
> > paul

Sebastian Silva