tap-to-click feedback

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Thu Apr 15 10:31:44 EDT 2010

We saw this issue in our work with the Cantagallo comunity school
here in Lima. Tuukka and Kaisa saw it in the teacher training they
attended, it seems to be very confusing for new users, who have
never used a touchpad before (they tend to touch the pad gently
and briefly, obtaining a click instead of moving the pointer).

I think more testing should have gone into this before
deploying it!

Cheers
Sebastian

2009/10/22 Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org>

> Just wanted to communicate an experience from the deployment here:
>
> A while back, we (OLPC + community) discussed the behaviour of the new
> XO touchpads which have tap-to-click on by default. We debated
> including the fairly large software changes to be able to disable this
> functionality with the interest of retaining the behaviour of the old
> touchpad. We decided against it and shipped software with tap-to-click
> enabled, in hope that it wouldn't cause problems and users would
> adjust.
>
> Well, in my 3-4 months here in Nepal I've heard repeated cries for
> disabling this, since it is causing confusion for children and
> teachers in the schools. Really I think the biggest issue is that they
> press it by accident while typing or making other motions and have no
> idea why the screen has changed significantly (they don't understand
> that it's because they clicked, or that their hand was near the pad).
>
> Do other deployments share the same experience?
>
> Daniel

Sebastian Silva