[IAEP] ANNOUNCE: F11 for the XO-1 build 140py released

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Apr 14 18:35:34 EDT 2010

On 14 April 2010 13:22, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>  * Remove olpc-update and disable the /versions kludge (me, smparrish)

Great work Bernie!
This is the only bit that seems a bit surprising to me.

Granted, the /versions system is a little perplexing (but it works,
and is being shipped on XO-1.5, so it has good support in the present
day). And granted, it doesn't work for large substantial updates, and
doesn't update activities.

But it is a nice system for small updates, with fairly good
documentation. It has only a 15mb overhead. I also set up all the
infrastructure in Paraguay to push these to schools and XOs
automatically, and we actually rolled out a tiny update in 1 school to
test it (worked perfectly first time). And I documented it.

Being the first deployment to run with this substantial software
update, it seems somewhat likely that you'll find a few niggly bugs
that would be nice to fix in the coming weeks. olpc-update would
provide you with a mechanism to do that with minimal effort.

Daniel