Flash + AIR on OLPC

Stanley Sokolow overbyte at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 12 12:31:29 EDT 2010

Sorry, guys, but I just don't see why the content is somehow corrupted or
limited by deployment on the Flash platform.    The FlashPlayer implements a
virtual machine that is customized by Adobe to run on various hardware and
OSs.   They're extending it now to ARM-processor-based devices (cell
phones).   The concept is write-once-run-everywhere.  The FlashPlayer runs
inside browsers or stand-alone (AIR).  The programming language it supports
(ActionScript) is now a very capable language, has libraries (both free and
not-free) for lots of goodies including very rich graphical interfaces, has
a powerful declarative xml-based language (Flex MXML) for building the
interfaces and binding data to them, has an open-source free-to-use (from
Adobe) compiler, has a free-open-source IDE (FlashDevelop) from a community,
has a superb IDE from Adobe that only costs $249 for the standard version
which includes a visual drag-and-drop design view mode as well as text mode
of programming and lots of features lacking in the FOSS FlashDevelop, etc.

One can program and run Flash programs with free-to-use software.   I know
of a very capable interactive web site (www.vyew.com, try the demo and see)
that runs extremely nicely and was built with the open source IDE.
Vyew.com runs on my XO, but I had to install the "Teapot" distribution of
Xubuntu on an SD card and run Firefox with FlashPlayer plugin.    It runs an
interactive whiteboard plus 2-way video and audio on my little XO-1, and it
supports plug-in extensions that users can build.  If the Vyew developers
can do this with free tools, why can't the OLPC community use Flash as a
platform?

So, please explain why "constructionist" educational models can't be
programmed and run on the Flash platform just as well or better than in
Python on Sugar on Fedora.