slides from solar talk (ongoing now)

Kim Quirk kim.quirk at
Sun Apr 4 19:58:48 EDT 2010

Sorry I missed today's discussion -- Easter celebrations went on quite a bit
longer than I expected.

The charge controller looks like a great project. I know there would be a
number of markets for that even outside of the OLPC projects. I'm always
looking for inexpensive charge controllers since the way we charge batteries
has a lot to do with how long they will last and how many cycles they can
undergo. An affordable MPPT controller is a great idea!

The refrigeration project I am working on requires a solar panel, charge
controller and battery. Pretty simple design... and I would like to specify
and MPPT controller, but I'm not sure they can afford it. PWM (pulse width
modulation) is better than no controller.

Thanks for inviting me, Adam. Don't hesitate to send questions on renewable
energy projects -- not sure if I can help, but I'd give it a try.

Kim Quirk

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Holt <holt at> wrote:

> Low-Cost Solar Charge Controller with the Maximum Power Point Tracking for
> the Developing World
> by Robert Pilawa, MIT Solar Researcher & PhD Student

Energy Emporium
60 Main St, PO Box 351
Enfield, NH 03748