Software-disabling touchpad

Emiliano Pastorino epastorino at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
Wed Sep 23 10:00:25 EDT 2009

Hi, everyone

I'm working on accessibility and disabling the touchpad is necessary for
kids who can't control their movements
and need other input devices.

I played a little bit around /sys/class/... and /sys/devices/... and found
that with this command:

echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/pwred

you get "echo: write error: Operation not permitted", but still the touchpad
is disabled. Keyboard still works and
I can plug a regular usb mouse. The thing is I can't reactivate it until I
reboot the XO.

I just wanted to know if this behaviour is normal or it's a bug and I'm not
supposed to be able to disable the touchpad.
If that's the case, is there a neater way to do that?

Thanks,
Emiliano