0.84 for XO-1 (was Re: [Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 94)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Sep 18 12:08:14 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 17:56, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> 2009/9/18 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
>> Great, thanks for the kind offer.
>>
>> I think the effort is already underway, leaded by Fedora's Steven M. Parrish:
>>
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/F11_for_XO-1
>>
>> I also think that Martin Dengler is working on this as well, but I'm
>> not sure how their work relates to each other.
>>
>> So testing seems like something that is needed, though I would like to
>> know what is required in order to say that one of these builds is
>> ready to be deployed somewhere. Maybe Steven, Daniel, Martin or others
>> have already thought about this? Afterwards we can count the people
>> interested in helping and maybe even write a tentative roadmap.
>
> I think the strongest requirement at this time is for developers. A
> few things that spring to mind that need to be worked on:

So we are looking for these skills:

> - Camera is not working

That's kernel, Video4Linux driver?

> - build scripts need to be modified to build "updatable" versioned
> disk images again, so that olpc-update can start working (and the code
> that supports this in the new initramfs will need to be tested/fixed)

Advanced linux user skills?

> - switch to ubifs for new installs (ok, not necessary, but this is so
> easy it's worth doing -- all info is on the wiki)

Advanced linux user skills?

> - screen rotation is broken

Kernel? X?

> - mesh support needs finishing

NetworkManager and/or Sugar?

> - probably missed a few things
>
> I spoke with Chris and I think we'll be able to have a  section on
> OLPC trac to keep track of these things sometime now.

Greg, Sean: any ideas about the best way to ask for help on these
areas? I guess Fedora is our first stop and many people there already
have XOs, but maybe there are other communities we should try to
reach?

Thanks,

Tomeu

Farning