soas63xo impressions

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at
Tue Sep 15 20:37:15 EDT 2009

Disclaimer:  I am not asking for help;  I'm sharing my experiences.

Ran with soas63xo (booted from nand) on my XO-1.  Many of the
difficulties with previous SoaS builds were still present.

My Settings -> Date&Time - as soon as (to move the selection off UTC
to my timezone) I pressed (cursor was on vertical scrollbar) the
left mouse button, sugar crashed.  [Sugar also crashed when I
clicked in the horizontal scrollbar in Browse.]

Speak did not attempt to speak.  [Note:  The volume control in Frame
came up as 'Muted' - I think that's the wrong initial default.]

Record did not even launch.

Browse came up with its display window size significantly exceeding
the physical size of the XO screen.

'rpm -q kernel' shows *two* kernels applied to soas63xo.

One nice thing is that Frame now shows one icon (instead of two) for
setting up a local (under the tree) network.

One less nice thing for me is the new toolbar design, as exemplified
in Turtle_Art.  It was nice to see the "Title" always in the toolbar
- to remind "what am I on this screen for".  Now that the user needs
to hover (a particular spot) to see this reminder, Sugar seems less

*All* the builds-for-XO1 coming from are now
f12-based.  As far as I know, the OLPC plan is to start shipping
XO-1.5 systems from the factory with f11-based software.  I myself
don't believe many XO users intend to immediately replace the
(f11-based) software on their system with f12-based software (that
they currently have to install themselves).  From the point of view
of users running an XO, the SugarLabs software is now on a "fork".