OFW access from linux

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Tue Sep 15 15:46:51 EDT 2009

martin wrote:
 > On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:42:46AM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > on the XO, openfirmware stays resident when linux runs, and is
 > > accessible via an API specified in arch/x86/kernel/ofw.c.  i've
 > > just pushed a commit to our 2.6.30 kernel branch that adds a
 > > sysrq hook (SysRq-y) for starting (returning to?) the resident
 > > OFW command line interface.
 >
 > This is one of the coolest hacks I've heard about in a while.  Nice
 > work (and to the giants upon whose shoulders etc. etc.)!

to be honest, i knew it could be done because i had heard rumor
that blaketh had done it earlier.  his patch wasn't immediately
available, and it seemed like it should be simple, so i redid it
on my own.  but yes, the fact that OFW stays resident, and stays
useable (to the extent that your OFW commandline history is preserved
across invocations!) even after the OS has started is the really
wonderful part.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org