Smile activity version 1

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Wed Sep 2 12:31:44 EDT 2009

I posted version 1 of the Smile activity to activities.sugarlabs.org. It
matches the code posted on gitorious.

The Smile activity implements the open source Ambulant SMIL3 player. It
plays a variety of media types. More importantly it can play a complex
multimedia presentation including text, images, audio, and video using a
standard SMIL script.

My goal is to use the Smile activity to play children's stories so that
they can see the text highlighted karaoke-style while listening to the
story's audio track and looking at background images.

Similar to the Quiz and ShowNTell activities, the Smile activity plays a
bundle with an extension '.smxo' and mime_type 'application/x-smile'
which contains the controlling SMIL script and the associated media files.

Version 1 has two serious problems. Video playback and multimedia
playback does not redraw correctly (playback is advanced by moving the
mouse!). In addition, it is possible to replay only be re-selecting the
presentation. The pause and stop buttons do not work correctly.

I hope that both of these problems will be resolved in version 2 by the
end of September.

Tony