Request for help - can variable values be passed to an Activity ?

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Sep 2 08:12:06 EDT 2009

mikus wrote:
 > I've modified some system files in /etc to define some global
 > environmental variables ( export WHAT=foo ).  Those variables are
 > available within the environment passed to a Terminal session (or
 > when logged on at the text console) -- the command 'echo $WHAT
 > $LANG' will emit "foo en_US.UTF-8".  But those same variables are

what system files did you modify?  i'm guessing it was a shell
startup file, in which case it's not surprising that activities
don't use those files.

(but your point is well taken -- i'm often frustrated that it's
hard to influence the behavior of modern gui programs via system-wide
environment.  one of the sugar folk might have an idea.)

paul