Count bad blocks on NAND -

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 07:48:42 EDT 2009

I've wanted for a while to have a userland means to get a precise
report on the number of bad blocks (as seen by the MTD driver, which
reads the NAND BBT). MTD has this info, but it's only accesible via an
ioctl(). Mitch added a similar trick to OFW -- in practice a
self-standing binary is a lot easier to use on suspect machines.

Here's a very rough-but-works patch, and a precompiled 'mtd_debug'
binary that has been tested to work on 656 and 802.

  http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/mtd_debug.patch

  http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/mtd_debug

How to use - as root:

  modprobe mtdchar
  /path/to/mtd_debug info /dev/mtd0

The output will include a line about "mtd.badblockscount".

Note: The number is over-reported by 4 when you compare it with OFW --
I am not sure why the accounting done by the MTD driver differs from
the accounting done by OFW.

Wiki is dead at the moment -- will add this info when the wiki is back.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions