os33 - video regression ?

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 11:03:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 10:23 +0000, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> Is true what is suggested in this ticket? That Adobe Flash stopped
> using Xv in a minor release in the v9 series?
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5408

To the best of my knowledge Flash has never supported the XVideo
extension.  The reason for this is that Xv scales YUV data and Flash
uses RGB data.  Now could this be converted and scaled absolutely, but
Adobe has decided they are not going down that road.

My guess as to the minor release performance slow down, is that the
linux flash player gained Mpeg-4 video support in that release.  H.264
is much more processor intensive and would explain the performance
problems seen after the upgrade.

This same release was also the first release that supported the Xembed
protocol.  Some inefficiency there could also have created the video
performance problem.

Hope that helps to clear up the playing field.

Jon