[Server-devel] Early F11 XS build

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 04:51:40 EDT 2009

Hi Martin,

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> In between various complications, I have been working on getting an
> initial rebase of the XS packages and build infra to F11.
>
> After much wrangling with revisor, comps and image-creator, I have an
> initial installer iso and an image that boots on the XO-1. The XO
> image tests reasonably well, I haven't had chance to play much with
> the installer iso (but the image is built from it).
>
> All of the above owes a lot to hints from Jerry Vonau - thanks!
>
> You will find the files on http://xs-dev.laptop.org/xs/other/ in
> about... 6hs -- the name says "0.7" which is misleading, so I will rm
> them once I have better ones. But in case you want something to play
> with :-)
>
> Notes:
>
>  - The XO image is using the old XO kernel  --
>   -- I could not include the new kernel from dillinger's repo due to
> a conflict with kernel-firmware, even if say "-kernel-firmware" in the
> ks.
>   -- the vanilla F11 kernels fail to boot on the XO -- expected?

I think it should boot but I don't think the boot.fth is created but
its been a while since I've got around to trying it on my XO.

>  - The build is slimmer (without a need to slim-it-down manually)
> because upstream now avoid including some if the boot images in the
> main iso.
>
>  - However, that means that making a bootable usb is harder for users.

What causes it to be harder to make a bootable usb?

>  - Dependency chains are slimmer... but some are still bizarre. Bits
> of kde and gnome are there.

At a guess this is probably due to PolicyKit. I've had issues with it
in the past.

> Digests and sizes
>
> 546M    /srv/revisor/xs-f11-i386/iso/OLPC School Server-0.7-i386.iso
> 401M    OLPC School Server-0.7-i386.img.gz
>
> aa41b6dbca1aac13f842f13f8106019276d065e6  OLPC School Server-0.7-i386.iso
> 6bfe1a507704e21e84660a8d091624ffc7dee17a  OLPC School Server-0.7-i386.img.gz

Cheers,
Peter