[Testing] first play with new XO 1.5 machines

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 22 11:38:05 EDT 2009

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> I now realize we'd forgotten about Cerebro. If anyone is going to take
> the hard road, it may be a viable option -- did we ever have a clear
> plan of what it'd take to integrate it "fully" (where 'fully' means
> that things "just work" at least roughly to where they do on 8.2.1).

On the XO-1, the answer was "reverse-engineer the Libertas firmware,
recode Cerebro from scratch in C to run at the network layer, even when
the CPU is off, and write a new kernel driver that can interface with it".
 Now that XO-1.5 can no longer forward packets in suspend, reaching parity
is somewhat simpler.  It still requires, at a minimum, that someone
complete the abandoned Telepathy-Synapse connection-manager.

In short, it's a major engineering effort involving 802.11 and Telepathy.
 I would love for someone to take it on, but I haven't heard any noise
about it in months.