[Testing] first play with new XO 1.5 machines

Andrés Ambrois andresambrois at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 00:08:39 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 06:41:54 pm Ed McNierney wrote:
> I also want to point out that in cases where 802.11s mesh operation is
> desirable, the Open802.11s stack (http://www.open80211s.org/) should
> be investigated.  There's no reason Open802.11s software can't be used
> to make an XO a Mesh Portal Point (MPP).  The only thing we're really
> losing in XO-1.5 is the ability of an XO to serve as a MPP in low-
> power mode, when the laptop is otherwise asleep.  It would be great to
> get that working someday, but not today.

Huge +1 on not reinventing the wheel and using upstream's capabilities for
meshing*. AFAIK the only way to use the open11s support in the mac80211 stack
on the XO-1 is with a thin firmware and the libertas_tf driver, is this option
available for the new chip in the XO-1.5? I'm guessing this device also uses a
fullmac driver.

*: I am aware that OLPC's efforts in 11s predate proper support in mac80211 and
thus were the only option.

> 	- Ed

  -Andrés