[Testing] first play with new XO 1.5 machines

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 16:10:25 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> But I don't know if NetworkManager and Sugar are fully organized to do
> "Ad Hoc" networking, presence, messaging, file sharing, etc in the
> absence of an access point.

They are -- but it's pretty awkward to activate. I am arguing that
ad-hoc networking with a preset ESSID, and Salut should be the
transparent fallback. Just like the mesh was on earlier releases.

> The "mesh channels" in the GUI could be converted to "ad hoc"
> channels, unless ad-hoc WiFi networking has a protocol for searching
> all the channels for nearby machines.  (Channel-less operation would
> be simpler for users -- one less setting.)

Yep, something like that would work. And if those ad-hoc "channels"
are tried in cases where no known ESSIDs are seen, we get a behavioud
similar to what we had before.

No "mesh" in the strict sense of 802.11s but we get the "under a tree"
scenario working. That's what mattered most for our users AFACT.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions