[Testing] first play with new XO 1.5 machines

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Wed Oct 21 15:54:58 EDT 2009

> On Oct 20 2009, at 19:04, Tabitha Roder was caught saying:
> > no mesh network showing in neighbourhood
>
> My understanding is that mesh is not currently supported in the
> WLAN firmware for the new chips. I am not sure what the plan of
> action is in regards to mesh support for 1.5.

For laptops to communicate when they're nearby, no mesh is needed.
The usable range will be shorter than with a mesh, but on the positive
side, XO's should be able to communicate with every kind of device,
not just themselves.

But I don't know if NetworkManager and Sugar are fully organized to do
"Ad Hoc" networking, presence, messaging, file sharing, etc in the
absence of an access point.

The "mesh channels" in the GUI could be converted to "ad hoc"
channels, unless ad-hoc WiFi networking has a protocol for searching
all the channels for nearby machines.  (Channel-less operation would
be simpler for users -- one less setting.)

	John