first play with new XO 1.5 machines

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Oct 21 08:23:56 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 06:57:52PM +1300, Tabitha Roder wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> > ?> > many keys only work intermittently on some of these XOs. particularly
> > ?> > - frame key and the key next to it, search key, function key, hand
> > ?> > keys, divide/multiply key.
> >
> > is this reproducible in the OFW diagnostics? ? ("test /keyboard")
> >

> we did diagnostics check, they intermittently don't work

Good data, thanks.  Does not match #9453.  Fascinating.

Could you try the latest firmware and see if that fixes it?

For instructions on installing firmware, see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Firmware_q3a13 ... in short put it on a USB device,
attach battery and AC, and at the OpenFirmware prompt type "flash
u:\q3a13.rom"

If it doesn't fix it, could you use the diagnostic ("test /keyboard") to
figure out for us:

1.  exactly which keys ... (there are two hand keys; are both
affected?), and on which XOs,

2.  whether the intermittency is dependent on the fingers being used,

3.  whether the intermittency is dependent on flexing of the case or
keyboard area, (there's a cable involved, and it may be a cause),

4.  whether the problem goes away for a short time after a full power
removal (battery and AC), (we had something like this on XO-1 B1, long
since fixed, unlikely),

5.  whether any of the keys get stuck in their active state.

If you've logged this one in trac by now, tell me the number.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/