[IAEP] sugar live cd for windows

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat Oct 17 00:27:29 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 11:53:03AM -0400, Kevin Cole wrote:
> A "Live" CD doesn't run "on" anything, generally speaking.  It implies
> a CD which you boot the entire operating system from.  To the best of
> my knowledge there are no Live Windows Sugar CD's.

This users' perspective is not unusual ... if a user believes they have
Microsoft Windows on their computer, and you give them a CD and ask them
to restart their computer ... afterward nothing seems to have changed.

Since running the CD doesn't *remove* Microsoft Windows their computer
remains Microsoft Windows based.

Only users who know what an operating system is and where it exists (on
disk permanently vs in memory temporarily) can fully appreciate the
complexity.

It would be technically possible to have a Microsoft Windows Live CD,
but last I heard the copyright owner and licensor don't permit this
method of deployment.  I'm no expert in that product.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/