Contributors Program Mtg! (Fri 2PM Boston time, #olpc-meeting)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Oct 16 02:36:25 EDT 2009

Please join us reviewing the latest OLPC/Sugar community projects over
IRC Live Chat:  (2PM EDT Boston Time Today/Friday)
http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
  http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* Fast Review of the 5 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
  join us advocating for, and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

1. OLPC on Puppy Linux - Quakers Hill, NSW, Australia
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=48455
   [ MISSING PUBLIC PAGE OFF OF http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 2 XO's over undetermined months

   Project Objectives:
   C0-Build a Puppy Linux version. Compile package, provide ongoing
   support, troubleshoot, build a repo etc.

2. Using XO Technology Awareness on HIV/AIDS among children ages 4–16 -
Kenya
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=48476
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=43608
   http://xoaidsbyhoc.tumblr.com [ LINK NEEDED FROM
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 8 XO's over 2-6 months

   Project Objectives:
   1. To help child get basic computer skills using xo laptop
   2. Pupils/ Learners to use xo activities to get awareness of HIV/AIDS.
   3. To equip the teacher with necessary xo skills to help the learner
in HIV/AIDSawareness.
   4. To use xo laptop to deliver life skills that will lead to Aids
free life
   5. Identify appropriate sources o information on HIv/ Aids related
issues.
   6. Make decisions about personal and social behaviour that reduce
risk of HIV and STD infection using the XO technology.
   7. Show compassion towards and concern for those infected and
affected by v
   8. Communicate effectively with peers and others, issues and concerns
related to HIV/AIDS and STDs using the XO chat
   9. To be actively involved in school and out activities aimed at
prevention and central of HIV and STD's infections

3. GaiaBB: Proposal for shared community software - Victoria, Australia
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=48637
   [ http://gaiabb.com forthcoming; LINK NEEDED FROM
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 2 XO's over 8 months

   Project Objectives:
   I would like make a proposal to re-purpose my general purpose forum
   software (GaiaBB) to be XO community specific, using a peer to peer
   replication to allow kids to create and contribute to their own easily
   managed forums maintained on their laptops with no central server.

   Typically, forum software requires a database backend, but is actually
   very small footprint as long as you don't allow image attachments.
   Allowing peer to peer replication of the data between participants
   would allow them to grab updates to the forum when they're in range
   say in school, and answer / reply to threads when off radio, say at
   home.

4. FotoToon - Buenos Aires, Argentina
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=48696
   [ MISSING PUBLIC PAGE OFF OF http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 2 XO's over 6 months

   Project Objectives:
   I have developed the following Activities in Spanish:
   ActivityDomino http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4212
   Ecomundo http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4213
   Elements http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4214
   I am developing an activity to create comics, FotoToon.
   (git http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/fototoon/ ).

   * I think FotoToontil can be very useful for developing expression,
analysis of problems, and
   co-operative teamwork.
   The Activities already developed can be found in use, but I would
like to complete them and
   to be able to implement shared use between various types of computers.
   * In addition, in Foto Toon I need to test how to take images from
the Journal, and in my
   current development environment (I am writing in Fedora 11 on my
machine) I cannot do it.
   * In addition to these activities, I am participating actively in
"Sugar Days Argentina"
   <http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/SugarDaysArgentina> That we are doing
in our country with
   the objective of creating a community of developers and teachers
around the OLPC project
   and Sugar and the larger goal of realizing its implementation in our
country.
   * I would also like to develop an Activity for the creation of
stop-motion animations (using
   sequences of photos) that will also permit the taking of sequences of
photos for detecting
   differences (in movement and time between the photos) that will
permit calculating velocity
   or acceleration.

5. Bookwriting photo-interviewing traveling musician - Sallis,
Mississippi/MS, USA
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=48800
   [ MISSING PUBLIC PAGE OFF OF http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 2 XO's over 6-12 months

   Project Objectives:
   The aim of this project is to demonstrate the
   usefulness of a DIY attitude combined with the capabilities of modern
   technology that both meets creative desires and maintains a balance
   and strong connection with humanity and nature. It is an expose, a
   book, of a person who is just like you, me, or anyone else, with
   thoughts and feelings and troubles and joys. Only when a person shines
   the brightest are they the most visible to naked eye.