[Server-devel] using 802.11b APs

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 22:54:23 EDT 2009

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:26:38 +0200, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> I have six Lucent/Agere Orinoco-based RG1000 access points
>> (http://www.murgatroid.com/rg1000/rg1000.htm) that do bridging quite
>> well. Any specific reason to *not* use 802.11b for the XS? Note that
>> these also have 10BaseT ports. Will these be significant bottlenecks?
>
> Sounds like a reasonable low-cost rig :-) Of course, if it turns our
> your userbase saturates the APs, 802.11g may help.
>
> As usual, the length of the string depends on numbers, and actual
> concurrent usage.

Hello Sameer and Martin,

I have an XS server connected to a Linksys wrt54g running openwrt with
DHCP turned off.  XO laptops can connect and browse the Internet so
DNS and routing work great, however the laptops do not find the
"school server" which I understand to be the ejabberd service.  What
are the possible ways to get the laptops talking to the ejabberd?

Grant Bowman
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam