Woodhouse on flash storage

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 04:48:54 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Mitch Bradley <wmb at laptop.org> wrote:
> time, I expect the situation to get better and better as the firmware
> that "gets it right" supplants the earlier tries.

It's reassuring to hear that at least someone with your understanding
of HW (and the industry around it) thinks that it will get better
(good enough?) soon.

David and Valerie (both with lots of FS work behind them) seem to
think that there are fundamentally hard problems in implementing FTLs.
Valerie's article lays the problems out, and David argues that FOSS
dynamics and developers have a better chance of solving them.

Of course, FS developers crave the fun and direct control :-)

Given the natural tendency of our userbase to find limits (like
ENOSPC), the issues that Valerie's paper outlines and the flux things
are in, the work Wad is doing in testing the cr*p out of SD cards is
the most important thing we can do.

I wish we had more company in this.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com