Woodhouse on flash storage

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Oct 5 08:56:24 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 01:59:29PM -0400, Chris Ball wrote:

> http://www.advogato.org/person/dwmw2/diary/211.html

Thanks for the links - it's nice to keep up with what's going on in
the flash-expert world.

How might the outcome of these debates affect the use of the microSD
"internal" storage on the XO-1.5?  I'm guessing "not at all, it's a
linux issue and we'll just use its drivers"...but I thought perhaps
OFW will have to care?  Wikipedia[1] is a bit hard-for-me-anyway to
use to understand whether linux drivers access the SD card's flash
"directly"[2] (which I assume is what dwmw means by "talk directly to
the underlying flash medium") or via some USB mass storage interface
layer provided by the card (is this part - perhaps the highest level -
of the FTL that dwmw and T'so are talking about?).

I guess these questions are probably OT so sorry for the diversion.

Martin

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Openness_of_standards