Devel Digest, Vol 45, Issue 53

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Nov 30 15:54:04 EST 2009

Hi,

[Added ericb to CC; Eric, we're talking about which applications to
include by default on our OLPC XO-1.5 software release.]

   > How about suggestions for programs on the Gnome side?

That's a good idea, thanks.

I haven't decided what to do about OpenOffice yet -- at the moment we
don't ship it, but do ship abiword and gnumeric.  The options for it
look something like:

* just add the openoffice.org Fedora packages for GNOME.
  (How much disk space would that use?)

* just add the Ooo4Kids activity for Sugar.

* just add the Ooo4Kids activity for Sugar, *and* find a way to make
  the same activity launchable inside GNOME.  This would need Ooo4Kids
  to be useful for older kids as well, since they're the target
  audience for using GNOME instead of Sugar.

The OOo4Kids activity is here:

http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4241  (100MB)

Perhaps someone could try out OOo4Kids, see how it compares to
standard OpenOffice, and see how much disk space adding the full
OpenOffice packages would require?

Thanks!

- Chris.
--