8.2.x, touchpads and papercuts

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 05:10:17 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
> hi martin -- sorry for the delay.  the Weekend of Big Meals got in
> the way.  :-)

I hope it was a good time over there. Get some padding to keep warm
through the winter :-) Hard to keep track of the holidays across
various countries...

>  >  - What changes have you applied in it - git tree? The mouse drivers
>  > don't seem to be modular...
>
> all of the changes described on that page are on the olpc-2.6 branches
> we've been using for 1.5, and are also on the "testing" branch.  the
> commit(s) on the testing branch which do this are, i think, the only
> commits on that kernel branch since we released 8.2.

Cool - will review 'testing' then.

>  >  - Is the xset command change a good idea even without kernel/driver
>  > changes? Or only with them?
>
> i think it's a good idea regardless.

Then I'll change olpc-utils and be done with it. A bit slow won't kill anyone.

>  > >  > = CL1A "New touchpad" users
>  > >  >  - split off psmouse kmod?
>  > >  >  - kmod or xorg option to disable tapping?
>  > >
>  > > when we first got the new CL1A touchpads, and enabled the
>  > (...)
>  >
>  > So, not much I can do with a modest effort. Disabling tap-to-click can
>  > only happen with the synaptics driver, and that is a longish road.
>
> that's right.  but since i think we want to do this for 1.5 as well,
> it might happen "for free" if your schedule stretches enough.  (or,
> it might not, depending on what needs to change.)

I am hoping to wrap this up in the next day or two for an RC to ask
for testing. This is for 802+small bugfixen and a couple of antitheft
improvements so that we can deploy / upgrade in LatAm during the late
Dec break.

>  >
>  > > daniel recently
>  > > pointed out to me that we could build in the synaptics protocol,
>  > > but explicitly not choose it (i.e., override auto-detection) by
>  > > using a module parameter.  this would let deployments and others
>  > > experiment with ways to make tap-to-click go away while keeping
>  > > everything else working.
>  >
>  > So you mean CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=m and that combined with an
>  > xorg stanza? Or a udev rule? Or just inelegantly renaming the kmod?
>
> my impression from dsd was that we could turn on the CONFIG_ var, and
> then disable the protocol with a module parameter, presumably in
> modprobe.d.

Which module param?

> i think it would look like this:
>  CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
>  CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=m
>  CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
>  CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_OLPC=y
>
> the result would be a psmouse.ko module.

I'll do *exactly* that.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions