Proxy auto-configuration

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Sat Nov 28 13:57:13 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 03:47:17PM +0000, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

>> OK, so it should work with Iceweasel. Either it got disabled
>> (upstream?
>> Debian?) or there was some kind of configuration (dhclient? Firefox?)
>> enable it...
>  From these links, looks like Mozilla uses WPAD through DNS (and not
> DHCP):
>
> http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/search?string=wpad&find=&findi=&filter=^[^\0]*%24&hitlimit=&tree=mozilla-central
Thanks, that got me going. Iceweasel needs to be explicitly configured
to "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network". Default is "Use system
proxy settings", whatever that means on Linux - the help document only
talks about "proxy settings configured for you [sic] operating system"
which might be about everything (environment variables, some Mozilla
config in /etc, Gnome settings, KDE settings, ...).
I guess there's some Javascript magic I could throw somewhere in /etc to
tell Iceweasel to do that by default...

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/