8.2.x, touchpads and papercuts

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 11:08:05 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
>  > = CL1 Alps users
>  >   - better kmod?
>  >   - pgf proposed an xset command to tweak responsiveness?
>
> both of the above points are covered here:
>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Touchpad_driver_changes

Great. Been reviewing this a bit today. Questions:

 - What changes have you applied in it - git tree? The mouse drivers
don't seem to be modular...

 - Is the xset command change a good idea even without kernel/driver
changes? Or only with them?

>  > = CL1A "New touchpad" users
>  >  - split off psmouse kmod?
>  >  - kmod or xorg option to disable tapping?
>
> when we first got the new CL1A touchpads, and enabled the
(...)

So, not much I can do with a modest effort. Disabling tap-to-click can
only happen with the synaptics driver, and that is a longish road.

> daniel recently
> pointed out to me that we could build in the synaptics protocol,
> but explicitly not choose it (i.e., override auto-detection) by
> using a module parameter.  this would let deployments and others
> experiment with ways to make tap-to-click go away while keeping
> everything else working.

So you mean CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=m and that combined with an
xorg stanza? Or a udev rule? Or just inelegantly renaming the kmod?

> i did propose splitting off the psmouse module, so that it could
> be released independently of the kernel.

Happy to do that. You mean...?

CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=m
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=m
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_OLPC=m