more on trac

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat Nov 21 20:21:55 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 12:27:41PM +0100, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:23 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 09:38:20AM +0100, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> >> 1 - tasks & bugs "going forward" -- filed mainly by the techteam and
> >> some dedicated volunteers that test our builds
> >
> > Yes, that's what I'm concentrating on.
>
> That's cool... but not the only use of our trac.

Agreed.

> >> 2 - bugs on released versions -- filed by volunteer testers _and by
> >> our end users_
> >>
> >> We can't close the door on #2. Please do add the old releases back to
> >> the versions to report bugs against.
> >
> > No, sorry. ?The old releases were not present in full, only some of them
> > were, and there are far too many for this to be a realistic option.
>
> Hmmm. The list you added below does not correlate much with releases.
> I agree with removing things that are not formal releases, but 8.2
> (756?) and 8.2.1 (802) _must_ be there. Otherwise it is impossible to
> do maintenance of stable releases.

Okay, you've convinced me from the point of view of maintenance, which I
didn't think was happening ... I will (or will approve) adding back the
build numbers for 8.2 and 8.2.1 as release names in the trac version
table.

But not the ancient history releases; unless a deployment is using a
release, I don't want to list it, because it makes submission of new
tickets much slower (the version field is a popup menu).

> Also -- releases are not milestones. You'll want to add significant
> XO-1.5-osXX builds there (significant as in alphas, betas, RCs...).

We shall use the keywords field for the build numbers until a release is
made for deployments.

> > I've added back a 1.0 Software version.
>
> We never had a "1.0 Software". We've had things like Update.1, .2
> (756?) and 8.2.1 (802).

I'll remove it at the same time as the major build numbers are
reinstated.

I'd like to know which build numbers are actually being used in
deployments, community testing, or maintenance.

(I'm travelling the next few days, I won't be replying rapidly).

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/