some os42 impressions

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Nov 18 03:24:38 EST 2009

2009/11/18 Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com>:
> I've noticed "time-outs-from-the-game" with os40 that I had not
> noticed before.  For instance, when I boot with the check game key,
> the boot process simply stops for more than 50 seconds (just after a
> message about rtc) before continuing.

Look a few lines higher, it is recovering the filesystem. All of our
shutdowns are unclean because of #9629

> Sometimes quite trivial
> commands just stop for a noticeable number of seconds (garbage
> collection?).  And once when I was editing in 'vi', it took about
> two seconds between a keypress, and the character appearing on the
> screen.

This is because our SD write performance is terrible (#9688) and at
least for me this is nothing new. If you think otherwise it would be
good if you could downgrade to an OS that you think didn't have these
problems and confirm it.

> Also, shutdown seems to remove the directory from /media on which a
> removable volume is mounted.  [Before os42, shutdown would remove
> such a directory if it was created by automount, but *not* if it had
> been manually created by the user.]  The effect is that my
> "permanent" SD card is no longer being mounted when I boot, even
> though I have an entry for it in /etc/fstab

This is because we enabled fedora's temporary state feature for the
tmpfs mounts and so on.

Daniel