New Synthetic Phonics Literacy Activity

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Tue Nov 17 18:48:02 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 00:33 +0430, Mike Dawson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As many of the target areas for the XOs suffer from massive illiteracy
> problems, and some live away from where schools will be built during
> the time that they grow up and could benefit from a literacy learning
> activity using home schooling.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/SynPhony
>
> Norbert Rennert has done work on a prototype Synthetic phonics based
> application that can pick out appropriate words from a list according
> to learner's levels and the phonics being stressed.  Then we have
> espeak that can handle text to speech.
>
> We can migrate this to using HTML 5 for it's database and built it as
> an offline application (which could then use any other source to
> update word lists etc).  We can then define a means to link words to
> other media such as images.

Looks great Mike! You could also easily migrate to using html5's <audio>
tag instead of flash. That will make the size of the application much
smaller and easier to build and manipulate. It should also improve
performance as u won't have to load the flash plugin.

What license is SynPhony under?

I am busy for next 4 weeks polishing Karma but would like to apply Karma
to this

--
Bryan W. Berry
Senior Engineer