XO-1.5 slow disk writes

Adrian Chadd adrian at squid-cache.org
Tue Nov 17 12:39:23 EST 2009

My experience with SD media in general (and I can't test it on XO
systems; I loaned mine out to other testers for the time being) is
that the performance is wildly varied.

It probably doesn't help that the underlying IO is translating as
"read, erase, write" in some cases for lots of sub-flash-"chunk/page"
writes and how that is treated is highly device dependent.

It may be a fun experiment (for values of "fun" that appeal to me at
least) to write some direct-to-device IO tests which experiment with
differing write and erase sizes. Say, try doing random writes of 1k
data in 1k offsets, in 2k offsets, in 4k offsets, etc. Then try 2k
data in the same offsets. See what changes. That may give you some
subtle hints as to what the SD controller is doing.

This is why the idea of buffering IO and doing up a log structured FS
on the consumer flash devices is an interesting prospect, if difficult
to get right. You have this massive disconnect between read and write
IO times, you want to minimise the amount of writing you do but you
absolutely have no issue doing a whole lot of reads.

The actual SSD devices as far as I can gather do a variety of magic to
try and drop the flash erase time from hurting write performance so
much. I cant comment there with any experimental or other authority.

HTH,

Adrian

(ObNote: I've been toying with small object cache stuff on commodity
flash media lately; the above is purely from experiences with that.)