NANDblaster design notes for XO-1.5

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Fri Nov 13 14:42:40 EST 2009

> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nandblaster_for_XO-1.5  records my current
> thoughts about NANDblaster for XO-1.5.  Please comment.

>It would be nice if we could take advantage of the fact that the data in the
> .zd file is already compressed, but I'm not sure how to fit that into the
> FEC scheme without a lot of surgery. I suppose we could coalesce adjacent
> compressed blocks of data until we get 128K, then unblock later. That could
> get fairly complicated...

Is it possible to turn the .zd scheme into the same FEC scheme so that fs-update and nandblaster use the same source stream?

I know that adds a lot of additional overhead in the non-lossy channel case but even if it results in a slowdown in the fs-update case it might be a win over all.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child