[Sugar-devel] User workflow sharing "Journal Entries" over USB sticks

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 08:47:43 EST 2009

its true its an unecessary step in THIS particular scenario, but I'm thiking
more of a universal tool we could rely on for our datar storage, and
something like xmpp file sotrage XEP came to mind. IT contains
rudeimentary autehntication, file storage per person or for mutiple people
(ie a group like scenario) and probably fits via the d tube or x tube
scenario

I'm just saying that if we choose to use xmpp via technology as its main
communicatinos framework we should really nmaximmize its usage. There is so
much undiscovered potential there, so many possible ways of doing even the
simplest of person to person communictaion, persence and sharing. I was not
at ll suggesting that someone replace using USB base data sharing, but
exploring ways in which in on exmple, u could open a dtube with telepathy
between the 2 mechanisms, lets call them usb sticks for now, and transfer
that way, set  presence state, avtar, and any ohter cool sutff xmpp can
do...

I'm jus saying should we be exploring it?

Daivd

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > inclydiung usb if that was desired
>
> Maybe your usb disk has a firmware smart enough to run telepathy :-)
>
> Not kidding, at least one of the bugs listed in SL's tracker about
> Journal Entry sharing would be fixed with the JEB-based approach I am
> proposing. And once the Journal can prepare a JEB, you just write it
> to the USB disk mountpoint.
>
> Telepathy in the middle is overengineering a bridge to get from the
> kitchen to the bedroom. I am happy to walk.
>
> In terms of use cases, saving to a USB disk allows for personal
> backups -- like before a complete upgrade / reflash, which is still
> used in many cases.
>
> You wouldn't use a system that didn't let you copy your files to a
> disk, would you?

> --
>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions

Ted Turner <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/ted_turner.html>  -
"Sports is like a war without the killing."