User workflow sharing "Journal Entries" over USB sticks

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 06:33:07 EST 2009

On os34, if I

1 - create a new Journal entry (named "F11-100") with some content
(and exit activity)
2 - plug in a USB stick
3 - copy the Journal entry to the USB stick via drag-n-drop in the Journal...
4 - exploring the USB disk shows a F11-100.gtar file with _no_
metadata, and the metadata seems to (maybe) be stored in a database in
.olpc.store/index

and then

5 - unmount, unplug the USB disk
6 - plug it back in, wait for it to mount...
7 - Journal shows F11-100.gtar, and doesn't know what to do with it.

Sugar 0.84 has fixed an old problem (the Journal going to la-la-land
if the .olpc.store/inded DB was corrupt) by completely ignoring the
metadata DB.

Now, the metadata DB had a role in the workflow I describe above. Has
anything taken that role? Maybe the new mechanism isn't kicking in
correctly? Does it work on 0.86 somehow? (Hints to patches to backport
welcome!)?

In the field, exchanging and storing journal entries via USB stick is
a _major_ thing (ah, if there were XSs everywhere... ).

In the back of my mind, I had expected that Journal Entry Bundles
(JEBs) would be used for this, but

 - the Journal doesn't store a JEB on the disk
 - the Journal doesn't recognize a valid JEB on the disk

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions